Monday, October 27, 2008

Quilt Retreat Projects



This past weekend I went on retreat with a group of women that have been retreating a couple times a year for over 10 years. It's the best bunch of women. We all seem to get along really well and just enjoy each other's company, ideas, and encouragement. Pam is in this group as well as Sharon, however Sharon didn't make it this time. She lives a bit far away now so she isn't able to make it twice a year. We missed you Sharon! : (
We stayed pretty close to home at a local hotel that caters to business travelers. They offered their conference room at a discount because we used it on the weekend (Friday through Sunday). They also gave us a group rate for anyone who wanted to stay there. It was so nice! My friend and I shared a two bedroom suite. We each had our own bedroom with a queen size bed and our own bathroom. There was also a livingroom and full kitchen. The hotel offers a full breakfast bar in the morning which was yummy! We all decided that we want to Retreat here three times a year instead of just two times.




I didn't know what I was going to work on prior to coming to the retreat so I made sure I packed enough projects to work on. I think I must have brought about 6 UFO's and another 6 yet to be started projects. In the end I worked on just two of the UFO's. I guess I was a bit more optimistic about what I would get done. I worked on putting these Garden Exchange blocks together in a quilt.


I wanted to give it a garden 'feel' so I chose to put random floral fabrics in with the blocks to unite them all. I really had fun creating this quilt although it took much longer than I thought it would.

I really like the way it turned out! I have the back just about pieced together so it will be ready to send to my friend Shari to do her magic with the longarm machine quilting!


Putting the binding on this quilt was the other project I worked on during retreat. It's kinda funny how these two quilts seem like companions. They have a lot of the same fabrics in them. It's very flowery and springlike. It'll make this winter seem like spring!

5 comments:

Kim said...

I love the garden quilt, it looks really great! And what are you talking about, "winter feel like spring?" are you coming out here for winter to actually HAVE a winter? Hayward winters ARE like spring!

Roseanne said...

I think your garden exchange quilt is lovely. I also like the other one to.

Sharon said...

Hey Berta, I really missed being at retreat with everyone!! I heard from Kate and she had a good time. It sounds like it was fun! Great job on the garden friendship quilt. My blocks are lurking around here somewhere...*shuffle, shuffle* One day I'll get to them, and I hope mine will look as good as yours!

Savana said...

Awesome work mommy!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.